Thursday, November 1, 2012

Professional Electricians - Home Electrical Fire Safety

Prevent Home Fires With Professional Electrician

Published on by: Mike Daniels

In 2009, almost 45,000 houses across the United States experienced fires resulting from electrical malfunction or failure, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). These fires claimed the lives of 472 people, and caused 1.6 billion dollars in property damages. These sobering statistics prove that as a homeowner, you must take action to protect your family and property from sudden demise and destruction resulting from hidden home electrical safety problems.

EXAMPLE: Electrical Fire Prevented

Electrical Fire Risks are quite common in older homes.

This week we handled a residential service call to correct what was close to causing a very serious house fire. A home with a 220v electrical outlet for a dryer, almost 25 years old, had apparently been overheating for quite some time.

The dryer plug-in had begun to melt and become fused to the electrical outlet. (see melted rubber at prong. prong had been cleaned of a coatin gof melted plastic from the receptacle.) The wiring in the junction box had melted insulation (see bulging black wire insulation in lower photo).

For just over $100 we repaired the wiring, repalced the outlet and replaced the dryer's electrical cord. The owner reported having smelled something unusual for several weeks. This problem never tripped a breaker but fortunately caused the dryer to stop working. The home owner discovered the problem when trying to disconnect the electrical cord to service the dryer. This is a common situation in older homes.

Are Your Old Outlets and Wiring Safe

Numerous telltale signs of old outlet and wiring malfunctions usually exist way before an all-encompassing house fire consumes people and possessions. These include regularly blown fuses, tripping breakers, flickering or dimming lights, and a faint burning smell coming from an appliance or kitchen gadget. Other home electrical safety concerns include warm-to-the-touch switch plates, or even discolored switch plates. These occurrences can usually signal overheated wiring that might soon turn into a full-fledged electrical fire.

Additionally, if your home was built in either the 1960s or 1970s, the electricians could have used aluminum wiring in your home, instead of the now-standard copper wiring. This aluminum wiring is a safety hazard in itself due to the fact that its wiring connections can loosen over time. When this happens, gaps between the connectors and the actual wiring can overheat, and cause fires when overextended from constant lighting and appliance use.

Replacing Old Electrical Outlets and Fixtures

Often, homeowners feel confident that they are preventing home electrical fires by simply replacing old outlets. Sometimes changing out outlets does eradicate loose wire terminal and internal connection problems. Old outlets that have partially or completely come out of the receptacle should be immediately replaced, also. However, more often than not, the outlet is not the culprit that initiates house fires. Unfortunately, replacing old electrical outlets and fixtures will only lead you to the conclusion that the problem is inside the walls of your home.

The Danger is Usually Inside Your Walls

Truth be told, if you are were not the first person to own your home, you might find that several different handymen or women tried to fix electrical problems within the walls of your home themselves, instead of hiring a certified electrician. Therefore, you might be stuck with a literal mess of different kinds of wiring pieces and parts. If this is the case, trying to fix the problem yourself would probably only serve to make it worse. It is highly unlikely that you know the ins and outs of several different types of wiring, or have the knowledge on how to correctly replace the wires without burning your house down.

Upgrade for Style and Energy Savings

The first thing many people usually experience after hiring a licensed electrician is massive energy savings. Because the newly repaired and/or redesigned wiring within your walls is no longer overloaded, energy expenditure decreases significantly. Additionally, you will find, like most homeowners, that the new outlet covers you picked out for the home improvement project really give each room's d├ęcor the added boost it so desperately needed.


  1. Hi! I am glad to stop by your site and know more about commercial electrical contractor. Keep it up! This is a good read. You have such an interesting and informative page. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about commercial electrical contractor in your area.
    Electrical contractors employ workers in many capacities, determined by their level of training and experience.
    Your one-stop residential and Commercial electrical contractor in ma

  2. Excellent information! Whether you’re building, renovating, or experiencing problems with your current electrical system, an electrical contractor in ma . No job is too big or too small. If it’s electric, it’s their business.

  3. Great information about Professional Electricians ....

    Perth Electrician

  4. what an excellent blog you have..i do love reading it specially you have input here a very helpful article..very impressive, thanks a lot for sharing.

    diesel mechanic school pittsburgh

  5. For getting wiring at home their is a need of Amazing Electric commercial electricians sheridan wy who can do all the electric work nice.

  6. I'm actually kind of worried that some of my outlets might not be wired properly. I've noticed over the last few weeks that some of the wiring in my home is really strange. I hope that none of it is going to start an electrical fire, but I can't know for sure until I have someone check it out. Hopefully I can get that taken care of in the next couple days.
    Keara |

  7. For some of us, the thought of having a home fire isn't really there. We think that we are safe in our homes and that it will stay perfect forever. That however is not the case. When it comes to doing electrical work, I would highly suggest that you hire an electrician. Not many people have the knowledge to work with electrical components in and around the home. You wouldn't want to take the risk of shocking yourself or starting a fire.

  8. Good work on this post! I really like the way you delivered your qualitative facts and how you made this fascinating and effortless to realize. Thank you!! emergencyelectricianarizona

  9. Last year, my family and I needs to evacuate because of the nightmare we experienced. All of the stuff and things that we treasure for so many years was gone just because of the broken electrical that caused fire. I hope this won't happened to others. Anyways, thank you for sharing.

  10. It's wonderful article about electrical services,..Thanks for sharing.

    Electricians In Seattle
    Lynnwood Electrician
    Kirkland Electrician

  11. Thank you for sharing like this information. This is the most easy way of learning. This helps me to get some idea regarding this and helps me to bring a creative thought.
    emergency electrician

  12. Just saying thanks wouldn’t just be enough, for the fantastic fluency in your writing.

  13. He’s incredibly clear w/ the work they do and incredibly personable within our marketing communications; Knowing that a specialist might complete the job in a well-timed.SG1 Electrician

  14. The web is hindered with fake sites with no genuine message yet the post was fabulous and certainly justified regardless of the read.Thank you for offering this to me.
    Electricians Prescott AZ

  15. At Mister Sparky, we offer a wide selection of electrical services to choose from. We believe that you deserve the convenience of an excellent electrical system, and we are confident that our Santa Rosa, CA electricians can make that happen. Whatever electrical services you may need, we are the company you can count on to get the job done right.

  16. Electricians do a variety of work in the home and in commercial premises to ensure the electrical installation operates efficiently and to the correct building regulations. electrician liverpool also operate to the right British Standards.

  17. This blog had a to an incredible degree strong impact on me.
    small kerosene heaters

  18. The blog is created in essential English with no longing towards composing.
    Man with van services

  19. I felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!. oven repair service

  20. Thanks for the information and links you shared this is so should be a useful and quite informative about keyword this topic.

  21. i never know the use of adobe shadow until i saw this post. thank you for this! this is very helpful. elektriker oslo

  22. All things considered, this made them think what different exercises are useful for those of us who end up out and about or have restricted hardware alternatives.

    Electrician In Rhode Island